By Jan Porch l May 17, 2026
ABUJA — The Nigerian military has denied reports that US foreign troops participated directly on the ground during the operation that killed senior ISIS commander Abu-Bilal al-Minuki in northeastern Nigeria, insisting that the United States only provided intelligence and operational support.
The clarification followed widespread international reports describing the mission as a joint US-Nigerian military operation. US President Donald Trump had earlier announced that American forces worked alongside Nigerian troops to eliminate Al-Minuki, whom he described as “the world’s most active terrorist” and the global second-in-command of ISIS.
However, Nigeria’s Director of Defence Media Operations, Major General Michael Onoja, said no American soldiers took part in ground combat during the raid. According to the military, the United States provided intelligence, surveillance, reconnaissance support, and strategic coordination, while Nigerian forces carried out the direct operation.
The operation reportedly took place around Metele in Borno State near the Lake Chad Basin, a long-standing stronghold of Boko Haram and the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP). Nigerian authorities said the mission followed months of intelligence gathering and close coordination between both countries.
Al-Minuki, also known as Abu-Mainok, was considered one of ISIS’s most influential commanders in Africa. Nigerian military sources said he played a key role in coordinating extremist activities across West Africa and the Sahel, including logistics, weapons production, propaganda operations, and financing.
President Bola Ahmed Tinubu praised the operation as a major success in Nigeria’s counterterrorism campaign, describing it as an example of effective international cooperation against extremist violence. Early assessments indicated that several of Al-Minuki’s senior lieutenants were also killed during the strike.
The killing marks one of the most significant blows against ISIS-linked groups operating in West Africa in recent years. Analysts say the death of Al-Minuki could temporarily disrupt ISWAP’s leadership structure and financing networks, though experts caution that extremist groups in the region have historically regenerated leadership after major losses.
Nigeria has battled Boko Haram and ISWAP insurgencies for more than 17 years, particularly in the northeastern region. The conflict has killed tens of thousands of people and displaced millions across the Lake Chad Basin.
The United States has expanded security cooperation with Nigeria in recent months, deploying military advisers, surveillance assets, and intelligence support as Islamist insurgencies continue spreading across parts of West Africa and the Sahel. Nigerian officials, however, have repeatedly emphasized that foreign personnel in the country operate strictly in non-combat advisory roles.
