By Jan Porch l May 17, 2026
RIYADH — Former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert has called for a renewed nuclear agreement between the United States and Iran, arguing that diplomacy remains the only realistic path to preventing a broader regional catastrophe in the Middle East.
Speaking during an interview on the Arab News current affairs program Frankly Speaking, Olmert said a fresh agreement limiting Iran’s nuclear activities would better serve regional security interests than continued military confrontation.
Olmert’s remarks come at a time of heightened instability across the Middle East following the outbreak of war between the United States, Israel, and Iran earlier this year. Although a fragile ceasefire has held since April, tensions remain high as negotiations between Washington and Tehran struggle to advance.
“The only possible way forward is a new agreement on nuclear issues between America and Iran,” Olmert said during the interview, emphasizing that any credible deal should strictly limit uranium enrichment, eliminate any military dimension of Iran’s nuclear program, and restore comprehensive international inspections.
The former Israeli leader pointed to the 2015 nuclear accord negotiated under former US President Barack Obama as a model that successfully constrained Iran’s nuclear capabilities before the United States later withdrew from the agreement. According to Olmert, Tehran had previously demonstrated willingness to accept restrictions on its nuclear activities under international supervision.
Olmert also questioned the long-term strategy behind the joint US-Israeli military operations launched against Iran in February 2026. While acknowledging that the opening strikes inflicted substantial damage on Iran’s military leadership and infrastructure, he warned that military success alone could not provide a sustainable political solution.
The conflict erupted after coordinated US and Israeli airstrikes targeted Iranian facilities and senior commanders on February 28, triggering retaliatory missile and drone attacks by Iran across Israel and several Gulf states. The war rapidly expanded into one of the most dangerous regional confrontations in decades.
Regional governments have increasingly become entangled in the crisis. Reports published this week revealed that Saudi Arabia carried out covert retaliatory strikes inside Iran after Iranian attacks targeted Saudi civilian infrastructure and oil facilities. The unprecedented move reflected growing frustration among Gulf states facing repeated missile and drone assaults.
The United Arab Emirates has also faced sustained Iranian attacks since the conflict began, with hundreds of missiles and drones intercepted over recent months as Gulf countries strengthened defensive coordination.
Despite the violence, diplomatic efforts continue behind the scenes. Saudi Arabia is reportedly promoting a broader regional non-aggression framework aimed at reducing tensions between Iran and neighboring Arab states and preventing future escalation.
Olmert warned that without a clear political roadmap, the region risks remaining trapped in a dangerous stalemate. He argued that lasting security for Israel and the wider Middle East cannot be achieved through military force alone, but through sustained diplomatic engagement and internationally monitored agreements.
