Trump Says Xi Supports Reopening Of Strait Of Hormuz Amid Global Oil Crisis


Date: May 17, 2026 l 
By Jan Porch

U.S. President Donald Trump says Chinese President Xi Jinping agreed that Iran must reopen the Strait of Hormuz following talks between the two leaders in Beijing, as the ongoing Middle East crisis continues disrupting global energy markets.

Speaking aboard Air Force One after returning from China, Trump said he and Xi discussed the worsening economic impact caused by restrictions on shipping through the strategic waterway. Trump claimed the Chinese leader supported restoring normal maritime traffic through the strait, though Beijing has not publicly confirmed any direct commitment to pressure Tehran. 

“I’m not asking for any favors because when you ask for favors, you have to do favors in return,” Trump said when questioned about whether Xi had agreed to intervene with Iran. 

The Strait of Hormuz remains one of the world’s most important shipping routes, normally carrying roughly one-fifth of global oil and liquefied natural gas exports. The crisis intensified after the United States and Israel launched military strikes against Iran on February 28, triggering retaliatory missile and drone attacks across the Gulf region. 

Iran has effectively restricted passage through the strait during the confrontation, contributing to what analysts describe as the largest oil supply shock in modern history. Energy prices have surged globally as shipping companies reroute vessels and insurers raise risk premiums for Gulf transit. 

China plays a central role in the dispute because it remains the largest purchaser of Iranian oil. Trump indicated that Washington is considering whether to ease sanctions on Chinese companies importing Iranian crude as part of broader diplomatic negotiations tied to reopening the shipping lane. 

Despite Trump’s comments, China’s Foreign Ministry stopped short of confirming any direct agreement involving Iran. Beijing instead issued a broader statement criticizing the war and calling for de-escalation, describing the conflict as one “which should never have happened.

Iranian officials meanwhile signaled they are preparing a new maritime control mechanism for the strait. Ebrahim Azizi, chairman of Iran’s parliamentary national security committee, said Tehran plans to unveil a system that would regulate traffic through designated routes and impose fees on vessels using Iranian maritime services. He stated that only countries and commercial operators “cooperating with Iran” would benefit from the arrangement. 

The wider regional conflict has dramatically reshaped Gulf geopolitics. Reports from Reuters and The Wall Street Journal indicate that Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates quietly launched retaliatory strikes against Iranian targets earlier this year after Iranian attacks hit Gulf infrastructure, ports and energy facilities. 

Although a ceasefire announced in April reduced some fighting, tensions remain extremely fragile. The United States continues enforcing a naval blockade connected to the crisis, and American officials say dozens of commercial vessels have already been redirected to maintain compliance with security restrictions. 

Trump reiterated that Washington’s primary goals remain preventing Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons and restoring open navigation through the Strait of Hormuz. Iran, however, has refused demands to halt nuclear research and insists it will not fully reopen the strait unless U.S. pressure and blockade measures are lifted. 

Diplomatic efforts to stabilize the region are continuing in parallel. Saudi Arabia has reportedly floated proposals for a broader Middle Eastern non-aggression framework involving Iran and neighboring states, though divisions among Gulf countries continue complicating negotiations. 

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post