Date: August 22, 2026
Reporter: Ifeanyi Ejiofor
LAS VEGAS, Nevada — Jurors in the murder trial of Duane “Keffe D” Davis heard a recorded 2008 interview Thursday in which Davis told Los Angeles police detectives that his nephew, Orlando “Baby Lane” Anderson, fired the shots that killed legendary rapper Tupac Shakur in a 1996 drive-by shooting.
Davis, 63, is accused of orchestrating the killing of Shakur, who was shot in Las Vegas on September 7, 1996, and died six days later at the age of 25. Davis has pleaded not guilty and has maintained that prosecutors are relying on exaggerated and unreliable stories he previously told about the killing.
The 2008 recording has become a central piece of evidence for prosecutors, who argue that Davis's own words provide a direct account of his involvement in the shooting.
Davis Describes the Shooting
In the recording played for jurors, Davis said he was riding in a white Cadillac with Anderson and two other men when they encountered the vehicle carrying Shakur and Death Row Records co-founder Marion “Suge” Knight.
According to Davis's account, he initially intended to shoot if he had been positioned on the same side as Shakur's vehicle. Instead, because Knight's vehicle was on the opposite side, Davis said he passed his firearm back to another passenger.
That passenger, Deandre “Big Dre” Smith, allegedly declined to take the weapon. Davis then said Anderson took the gun and began firing at the vehicle carrying Shakur and Knight.
The courtroom was quiet as jurors listened to the recording and followed a transcript on a screen. Some jurors took notes while members of Shakur's family sat in the courtroom.
Prosecutors Say the Recording Is Crucial
Prosecutors say the 2008 interview is particularly significant because it represents one of Davis's direct accounts of the shooting to law enforcement.
The prosecution's case also relies on statements Davis later made publicly, including interviews, podcasts and his 2019 memoir, Compton Street Legend.
Prosecutors contend that Davis's later public admissions undermine his earlier assurances to investigators that his nephew was not involved in the killing.
They argue that Davis's repeated descriptions of the events demonstrate that he played a central role in organizing the attack.
Why Was Davis Talking to Police?
The 2008 interview was not originally conducted as part of an investigation into Shakur's death.
Los Angeles detectives had brought Davis in to discuss the 1997 killing of another iconic rapper, Christopher Wallace, better known as The Notorious B.I.G.
Davis had briefly been considered a suspect in that case, although investigators later discounted him.
During the interview, detectives told Davis that the discussion was confidential and that statements made during the conversation could not be used against him.
Prosecutors now argue that Davis subsequently broke that understanding by publicly discussing the killing years later.
The defense, however, disputes the prosecution's interpretation of Davis's statements and the circumstances surrounding the interview.
Defense Calls Davis's Stories Fiction
Davis's defense attorney has argued that his client's previous accounts of the killing were fabricated or exaggerated.
The defense says Davis made sensational claims to attract attention and potentially benefit financially from his story.
Davis has pleaded not guilty to the murder charge, and his lawyers have challenged the prosecution's evidence, particularly the lack of physical evidence directly connecting Davis to the shooting.
The defense has also questioned why investigators did not immediately use Davis's statements from the 2008 interview to prosecute him.
Prosecutors Say Killing Was Revenge
The prosecution alleges that the shooting was motivated by an earlier confrontation involving Anderson and Shakur's entourage.
Hours before the shooting, Shakur and members of his entourage were involved in a fight with Anderson at the MGM Grand hotel following a Mike Tyson boxing match.
According to prosecutors, Davis and other members of his group later sought revenge. Davis was present at the boxing event but was not involved in the earlier confrontation, according to the prosecution's account.
Later that night, Shakur was riding in a BMW with Knight when the Cadillac carrying Davis, Anderson and two other men pulled alongside them.
The prosecution alleges that Davis helped organize the attack and supplied the weapon, while Anderson fired the fatal shots.
Tupac Was Hit Four Times
Shakur was struck four times during the shooting. Knight, who was driving the BMW, was also injured but survived.
Shakur was taken to a Las Vegas hospital, where he remained for several days before dying from his injuries on September 13, 1996.
His death became one of the most enduring mysteries in the history of popular music and remained officially unsolved for nearly three decades.
Anderson Died Before Being Charged
Orlando “Baby Lane” Anderson has long been identified by investigators and others as a possible shooter, but he was never charged with Shakur's murder.
Anderson died in 1998, roughly two years after Shakur's death Because Anderson is deceased, he cannot face prosecution in the current case. Davis is therefore the only person currently standing trial in connection with the killing.
A Case That Remained Unsolved for Decades
For almost 27 years, Shakur's murder remained one of America's most famous unsolved celebrity killings.
The investigation received renewed attention after Davis began publicly discussing his alleged involvement. Authorities arrested him in September 2023 following a renewed investigation.
His prosecution has now brought the case into a Las Vegas courtroom, where jurors are being presented with decades-old recordings, interviews and other evidence surrounding the killing.
Shakur's Legacy Lives On
Nearly 30 years after his death, Tupac Shakur remains one of the most influential figures in hip-hop. His music, films and outspoken social commentary have continued to influence generations of artists and fans.
The circumstances surrounding his death have also generated countless theories, books, documentaries and investigations. The current trial could provide jurors with the most detailed examination yet of the events surrounding the shooting.
However, prosecutors still have to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt.
Trial Continues
Davis's trial is expected to continue for several weeks, with prosecutors presenting additional witnesses and evidence.
The prosecution is expected to continue using Davis's own previous statements as it attempts to establish that he organized the attack.
The defense, meanwhile, is expected to challenge the reliability of those statements and argue that there is insufficient independent evidence proving Davis orchestrated Shakur's murder. For now, the courtroom evidence has brought one of the most infamous chapters in music history back into the spotlight.
The recording played Thursday provided jurors with a rare firsthand account of the night Shakur was shot — an account that prosecutors say came directly from the man accused of helping organize the attack.
Dalena Reporters will continue to follow the trial of Duane “Keffe D” Davis and developments surrounding the decades-old investigation into Tupac Shakur's death.
