Date: August 22, 2026
Reporter: Ifeanyi Ejiofor
FORT SMITH, Northwest Territories — Residents of Fort Smith were ordered to shelter in place early Saturday morning after police reported an active shooter in the community, prompting an emergency response during the town's annual Fireweed Festival.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) issued an emergency alert shortly before 3 a.m., warning residents that an armed male suspect was believed to be in the community.
Police described the suspect as a man wearing a grey sweater and carrying a firearm. Residents were instructed to remain inside their homes, lock their doors and avoid approaching or interacting with the suspect.
The shelter-in-place order remained active into the morning as police continued searching for the suspect.
Shooting Reported Near Festival Venue
The incident reportedly occurred at approximately 2 a.m. outside Dirty O'Fergie's bar, where two music stages associated with the Fireweed Festival were shutting down following the first full day of festival activities.
Festival organizers confirmed that a serious firearm-related incident had occurred at the venue and said several people had been injured.
In a statement, organizers expressed sympathy for those injured, their families and others who witnessed or were affected by the incident.
Emergency responders and RCMP officers quickly arrived at the scene, while authorities began efforts to locate the armed suspect.
Police Urge Residents to Stay Inside
RCMP officials urged residents not to leave their homes while the search was underway.
Police instructed residents to lock their doors and not open them for anyone, while also asking members of the public not to reveal the locations of responding officers on social media.
Authorities also asked anyone who had photographs or video related to the incident to provide the material to police through an official reporting channel.
The emergency response created significant concern in the small northern community, particularly because the incident occurred while residents and visitors were attending the Fireweed Festival.
Health Centre Placed on Lockdown
Fort Smith's health centre was also placed under lockdown as emergency and mass-casualty procedures were activated.
The move reflected the seriousness of the situation and the need for medical personnel to prepare for potentially multiple casualties.
At the time of the initial reports, authorities had not released a complete account of the number or severity of injuries. Police also had not announced that the suspect had been apprehended.
Fireweed Festival Activities Disrupted
The shooting occurred during the annual Fireweed Festival, a major community event in Fort Smith that brings together residents, performers, volunteers and visitors.
The festival organizers said public safety was their highest priority and that they were working with authorities to determine how the incident would affect the remaining programming.
The shooting has therefore cast a shadow over what had been a major community celebration.
Authorities Continue Investigation
RCMP officials said the search for the armed male suspect was continuing and that residents should follow instructions from responding officers.
Police also warned people against posting photographs showing police positions, a measure intended to protect officers and prevent information about the ongoing operation from reaching the suspect.
An official update was expected as investigators gathered more information.
Community on Alert
The incident has left Fort Smith residents facing an unusual and frightening emergency during one of the community's busiest annual celebrations.
The shelter-in-place order means residents have been urged to remain indoors until authorities determine that the threat has ended.
For families, festival attendees and local businesses, the immediate priority remains safety while police continue their search.
Further details about the victims, the suspect and the circumstances that led to the shooting are expected as the RCMP investigation progresses.
Dalena Reporters will continue to monitor the situation in Fort Smith and provide updates as authorities release additional information.
Source: CBC News and local reporting from the Northwest Territories. The latest available local reporting confirmed that RCMP had issued a shelter-in-place order following an active-shooter report and that several people were reportedly injured.
